Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The years between her husband's death and her eldest daughter's leaving home were, in fact, years of almost perfect serenity. My grandfather had sometimes spoken of disappointment. With him gone they were cut free from the troublesome possibility of success, recognition, advancement. They had no reason to look forward, nothing to regret. Their lives spun off the tilting world like thread off a spindle, breakfast time, suppertime, lilac time, apple time. 
--Marilynne Robinson, Housekeeping, p. 13

Ruth gives an idyllic portrayal of life in Fingerbone that reminds me a lot of the time I have spent in Clarksdale, Mississippi. When we are down there, we hear a lot of jokes about Delta time, which is the slow paced, carefree way of living that is a signature of Mississippi. We are discouraged from bringing and using our phones on the trip, so we are more isolated from the rest of the world. Everyday while I'm there, my thoughts are on what I am doing in that moment. Occasionally, I wonder what will be for dinner that night or if I will get to work more on hammering after lunch, but there is a very simple routine that happens each day and the students who go on the trip form a close group as we eat, sleep, work, breathe together, similar to Sylvia and her daughters. However, the feel of the trip is still different than that of life in Fingerbone because we have a goal in mind, something we are looking forward to: finishing building the house. This makes me wonder if there were small goals while the four women were living together in their serene home. Maybe this is just because I have the mentality of always moving forward ingrained in my mind after spending years working towards each new milestone, but I can't imagine a life in which there are no goals at all. Mr. Mitchell mentioned in class today that the description of these years was reminiscent of adulthood in that it is easy to get caught up in the routine and believe that nothing will change. However, even if you have a career and a set routine for each day, most people are still working towards improvement of some sort, whether it is a more varied syllabus for a class or the best route to deliver newspapers. The idea of living in a setting in which no personal improvement is expected sounds kind of nice, because sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the pressure that is always on me to move forward and get better at things, but if improvement and moving forward, even in a minuscule way, is not present, maybe even discouraged, I don't think I could be happy there either.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting to thinking about a world with no end goal. Like you explained, my mind is accustomed to always work towards the next goal, whether it be small or large. (i.e. doing well on my next physics quiz or even graduating high school). I can't imagine not having any purpose to move forward. Unlike most, I don't think I could live in a setting that is stagnant. The way I see it, my life has to keep moving. To quote The Great Gatsby: "my life has got to be like this, it's got to keep going on". That is why I both respect and question Sylvia's lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post really reminded me of some Buddhist pedagogue I read a while back. If I remember correctly, the central idea was to rid yourself of the "tyranny of expectations", which according to the author, is the root of all disappointment. And he's not wrong -- expectations control what we anticipate from ourselves as well as what we anticipate from others. If you set them too low, the gratification isn't as satisfying and if you set them too high, you risk getting let down. To be "cut free from the troublesome possibility of success, recognition, advancement" would be to inhibit any of these negative outcomes and to liberate yourself from future-based prospects that limit your perspective and choices. Supposedly you should instead focus on "possibilities", which are present-based -- "living in the moment" if you will -- which is pretty much what Ruth describes.

    ReplyDelete